Life in the Forum

34 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Vero
Topic starter
(@vero)
Estimable Member

It's incredible watching a site being built from the ground up!

All jokes aside, Dio, these are a couple of the features I was trying to achieve with code....font size and color. Font family would nice too.

7 Replies
 Dio
Admin
(@diogenese19348)

@vero It depends on where you are talking about.  For Fonts and colors on your own Posts and Pages, Divi pretty much gives you everything you want.  You can do it with custom css too, but you have to know what tags and classes you are modifying to use them, or come up with completely new ones and use those classes and ids in your posts.  That's way beyond what I want to get into at the moment though.

We can use custom CSS about anywhere, wordpress is good at making sure custom css is read last.

Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member

@diogenese19348 Yes, I'm sure that it's just the fact that I know so little about it that is making it harder. It's been ten years at least since I used much of it. I will pick it up in bits and pieces as I go along. I just hope I don't seriously break anything. (That's probably why wordpress is just ignoring my feeble attempts.) 🤣 🤣

Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member

I noticed Divi had a long list of fonts to choose from and showed what they were like when you hovered over them. Some of my favorites were not listed and probably couldn't be added there, could they? Kim added: 

https://www.dafont.com/fiolex-girls.

font on shmooze and everyone liked it. Especially around Valentines day. (This is another item for the bottom of your list.)

(@greystarfish1)

Eminent Member

@vero This is the message, that I get from your link. "404. Page not found." It has been deleted or removed.

Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member

@greystarfish1 That wasn't meant to be a link for anyone to use, Teresa. I was just showing Dio what the name of the font was that I liked.

(@greystarfish1)

Eminent Member

@vero I understand.

Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member
 Dio
Admin
(@diogenese19348)

I believe I can add fonts to the site.  Yeah, that is going to get a low priority.  Remind me again in a month if I forget 😉

2 Replies
 Dio
Admin
(@diogenese19348)

I'm getting "Page not found" on that link

Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member

@diogenese19348 RATS!!!! I just grabbed a link...there were several more places that offered that font. I didn't really know which site Kim got it from. She wanted me to be in charge of fonts, but she would have had to all the adding so I wouldn't have been much help to her.

((Definitely, I will remind you the week before Valentines day.)) "Respective" is another cool one  It actually sticks out of the text box. It's on Shmooze as well.

Dio
Admin
(@diogenese19348)

I found the font.  Also a page on how to add the font to the site.  I need to do that, but I thought you might find this interesting:

https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-themes/how-to-add-custom-fonts-in-wordpress/

12 Replies
 Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member

@diogenese19348 AWESOME!! 

Yesssss  thank you!! 🤩 I will definitely read that and keep it  handy...maybe  practice with it on my other word press site. I guess there is documentation for everything if we just have the time to look for it and read it isn't there!

Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member

@diogenese19348 Hmmm it says different fonts slow the site. Would that apply to us and on what level? I have never noticed a difference anywhere no matter how many fonts I used in a post. 🤔

Dio
Admin
(@diogenese19348)

@vero I haven't noticed a problem with it myself, but then again I don't use a lot of custom fonts.  Most fonts we do use are on the client machines, those don't need data downloads, it's already there.  Since everybody has broadband these days I don't think it is as much of an issue.  With more limited speed connections, yeah, the stuff would drag, but then again a lot of the stuff we are doing would. 

If the site starts getting markedly slow, we'll have to take a look at it.  Other than that, I wouldn't go nuts with custom fonts, but I wouldn't worry too much about it either.

Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member

@diogenese19348  Ok Good! Thanks. I would be happy with just the two that I mentioned. I don't know how the "Respective" would work on here, but it was funny when I posted on someone's guest book and the letters actually stretched  outside the box. They got all shook up and wondered what was going on. 🤣 🤣 (I'm not mean, just mischievous ) 😝

(@greystarfish1)

Eminent Member

@vero Where are our guest books?

Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member

@greystarfish1 I guess the closest thing to a guest book post would be to go directly to a members profile and click "Public Message" (or private message if it is something that you want only them to see)

This site doesn't have the same components as Shmooze, so we just have to figure out how to use what features are available.

I hope this answers your question.  Brian...... HELP!!!!

Dio
Admin
(@diogenese19348)

@vero I was thinking public message also, we could also set up guestbook pages on the sites, but if I'd give public message a try and see what it does.  I'll send you one.

Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member

@diogenese19348 The guest books WERE a big part of our  fun. Especially when they had all the text formatting and option of huge pictures. ((UH OH...sounds like a huge job for our over-loaded administrator!))

Dio
Admin
(@diogenese19348)

@vero Yes, I think we need them, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to implement them.  The member profiles are pretty limited as to what you can do with them.  I'm thinking more of putting the guest books on the sites and maybe linking them to the profiles.  Any case, I don't see anything currently that will do what we want in the members profiles.

Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member

@diogenese19348 I got your message pronto, but now I forget where I was when I got it!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member

I like how the comments find you no matter where you are. lol I remember being on another social site that double posted like that. Not sure which one it was.

Vero
(@vero)

Estimable Member

@diogenese19348  That works for me!👍(These emojis don't have pop-up ids on them. I hope I don't accidently get hold of the wrong finger one. 😝

Vero
Topic starter
(@vero)
Estimable Member
71146819 2557848961168288 1613301252383309824 o

Sweaty

I really want one of these!

Page 2 / 2
Share: